Temple Detox

Temple Detox
Courtesy of #dgdesignsphotography

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The best of intentions meet the reality of life

Well, hello there! It's been too long... I know... Forgive me! I had the best of intentions back in March. I had hopes and dreams of sharing my heart with you on, at least, a weekly basis! Alas, the reality of life leaves us here, months later with no new posts in over 3 months. 

Currently, I am sitting here typing at a beautiful wooden table my mom gave me, while also watching my children play. These little ones eat up my days as I cycle through the daily routine of feeding them, changing diapers, feeding them, cleaning up messes and folding laundry, feeding them, more diapers and messes...the drudgery of this cycle depletes my soul, while the beauty of their exploration, imaginations and laughter fills me back up. God is good like that, allowing the intangible things of life to be precious gems that restore joy and remind us of our purpose. 

Speaking of purpose, back in May I had a bit of a scare- thyroid cancer! Oh my word, for two weeks I cried, prayed, fasted and refocused my life. The result was a clearer perspective on the things that matter most, followed by a truly incredible miracle of healing. One with MEDICAL PROOF! It's a pretty awesome God story- but not the story for today. 

The story for today is one of obedience and fear. Today I am hopelessly unprepared to leave for my trip to She Speaks 2017. This summer has been busy as I faced my fear of traveling with 3 little ones alone. Though I am refreshed with confidence after overcoming this fear, I am now terrified to attend She Speaks and meet with 3 publishers! But I felt God's call to go, and with my wonderful husband's encouragement, I will present myself as best as I can.

Shhh...I have a secret! I have a fourth baby- a devotional that I wrote two years ago as I laid in bed praying I would not miscarry by baby. Unfortunately I lost my precious child, but in that time a work was born that I truly believe can help refresh the souls of many believers. God was so good to me in that time of sorrow; He gave me inspiration and purpose beyond my dreams! 

The following summer I attended She Speaks 2015 and was so encouraged. I could see my dream coming true...until I arrived home. The day after I arrived home I found out I was pregnant again. I lost that baby a week later. My heart was broken in pieces that only began to mend a month later with the news that I was once again pregnant! I am happy to say that my son Joshua is a healthy 14 month old learning to walk and talk better each day. His birth was followed by our move from Virginia to North Carolina. Which was followed by a tumultuous year of travel, and adjusting to three children while my husband began to prepare for deployment. Then, just as I began to settle in, build community and find time to write, my life was thrown for a loop with the thyroid cancer scare. 

I say this with gratitude, but this past year has broken me! The demands of motherhood, and single parenting in my husband’s absence, have weighed heavily on my heart as I learn to balance my hopes and dreams with the daily tasks I mentioned above. That said, in the limited free time that I could keep my eyes open; I worked to improve my devotional.  Can a creative heart ever find that perfection they so desire? No, I don't think so. But I believe that God can help me arrive to a beautiful point of completion. 

Back in 2012, I chose a birth verse- a bible verse to mediate on as I labored with my first baby. 

2 Timothy 1:7For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 
This has become my life verse!  Just a day ago, as I was overwhelmed by everything I needed to complete before heading to She Speaks on Thursday morning, I turned my car on and the radio host's voice blared through, declaring 2 Timothy 1:7 and a spirit of peace settled upon me. I will not dwell with a spirit of fear (or stress!)...but of power, love and self-control.

And that is my prayer. Whether the publishers take an interest in my work or not, I will continue to persevere in obedience and self- control. I will overcome my fear of rejection. Because the God of the Universe has chosen me and inspired me to write (even if its once every three months!), I will declare that the only approval I truly need comes from Him. I hope you believe this too! 
~Blessings and Peace~

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment